If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please click here or submit your request using the sidebar link. Please include "subscribe eFoodAlert" in the subject line.
- Food Safety Recall (Update): Ground nutmeg, which was recalled on November 30th by Frontier Natural Products Co-op (Norway, IA) due to possible contamination with Salmonella, was sold under the Frontier brand in Fred Meyer, City Market and King Soopers stores and under the Whole Foods 365 brand in Whole Foods Market stores.
- Food Safety Recall: Rushing Waters Fisheries of Palmyra recalls smoked trout spread (Lot #00694; sell by Dec 13, 2010) and smoked salmon spread (Lot #50012; sell by Dec 11, 2010), due to possible contamination with Listeria monocytogenes. At least some of the 225 pounds of recalled smoked spreads were sold in Whole Foods Market stores.
- Food Safety Recall: Bauman Orchards, Inc. (Rittman, OH) recalls approximately 50,000 gallons of Apple Cider because the cider was underprocessed. The recalled cider was packaged in gallon and half-gallon containers bearing manufacturing dates from September 1st through December 5th, 2010 and distributed to stores in Ohio.
- Allergy Alert: Dépanneur du Boisé Marieville (Marieville, QC) recalls banana cake (gâteau quatre-quarts aux bananes due to the presence of undeclared soy protein, and carrot & pineapple cake (gâteau quatre-quarts aux carottes et ananas) due to the presence of undeclared milk and soy proteins.
- Food Safety Recall: Country Herbs (Courtland, ON) recalls Country Herbs brand and Longo's brand Thai Basil (lot code 32277251), because the products may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled Thai basil was distributed only in Ontario.
- Food Safety Recall: Importers and retailers are recalling Ground Nutmeg, imported from the USA, because the product may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled ground nutmeg was sold from bulk at three retail stores in the province of Ontario.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Recall: Ying Tai TCM Supplying Ltd. recalls Fat Burner No. 1 after Health Canada finds undeclared sildenafil and N,N-didesmethylsibutramine in the product. Sibutramine is no longer authorized for sale in Canada, and sildenafil is a prescription drug that should only be used under the supervision of a healthcare practitioner. The recalled products were supplied to five retailers in Victoria, BC and Calgary, AB.
- Food Safety Recall (France): Carrefour recalls Carrefour Sélection brand fourme d'Ambert cheese (best before 25/12/2010), due to the presence of shiga-toxin producing E. coli O25:H11. The recalled product was sold by the slice between October 29th and November 30th, 2010.
- Food Safety Recall (Italy): Apicoltura Brezzo srl recalls Cream of Asparagus (Crema di asparagi) in glass jars (Lot #2449 and 1619; expiry dates of 30/09/2010 and 16/06/2010, respectively), after learning of a suspected case of botulism intoxication.
- Food Supplement Safety Recall (Denmark): Natural Resources recalls Pukka Weight Balance capsules (imported by The Natural Source) after excessive levels of iodine were found in the product. The imported supplement capsules were sold from health food shops, from individual practitioners and from Sticks 'n sushi restaurants.
- Medical Device Recall (UK): Johnson & Johnson Vision Care (Ireland) recalls 1-Day Acuvue TruEye (narafilcon A) contact lenses (lot numbers with the first six digits within the ranges 492237 to 492498 inclusive and 502080 to 502269 inclusive), due to higher than expected levels of decanoic acid.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1636): Aflatoxins in brown basmati rice from India, via the United Kingdom; distributed to Denmark.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2010.1637): Salmonella typhimurium in corn gluten feed from France; distributed to Belgium.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2010.1638): Too high content of E 211 - sodium benzoate, undeclared colour E 122 - azorubine, E 330 - citric acid and E 296 - malic acid in and incorrect labelling on pomegranate concentrate from Spain; distributed to Greece.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2010.1639): Dioxins in calcium iodate pre-mix from India; distributed to Belgium and the Netherlands.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2010.1640): Too high content of salinomycin in complementary feed for poultry from Belgium; distributed to Belgium and France.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.