If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please click here or submit your request using the sidebar link. Please include "subscribe eFoodAlert" in the subject line.
- Allergy Alert: Diana's Mexican Food Products, Inc. (Lawndale, CA) recalls approximately 41,670 pounds of Diana's Central Meat Market Chicken Tamales (wrapped in rice paper), due to the presence of undeclared whey. The tamales were produced between February 2010 and December 2, 2010 and were distributed to restaurants in California.
- Food Safety Recall: Hillcrest Dairy (Plant #36-3108, Moravia, NY) recalls Hillcrest Dairy Heavy Cream (Sell by 12/18/10), due to improper pasteurization. The recalled cream was distributed in the Finger Lakes Region of New York State.
- Food Safety Recall: Atlas Walnut Co. of California recalls walnut halves and pieces because a shipment sent to another manufacturer has tested positive for Salmonella. Azar Nut Co., which receives product from Atlas, has recalled the products that it received from Atlas.
- Food Recall/Withdrawal: Food City reports that Duchess Mini Chocolate Donut Bags, 10 oz., have been withdrawn/recalled. No details are available.
- Food Recall/Withdrawal: Food City reports that its supplier has recalled/withdrawn several Tropical Nut & Fruit items, including Walnut Halves/Pieces Tub (6 oz.), Hi Energy Tub (12 oz.), Perfectly Fit Tub (11 oz.), Hi Energy Mix (25 lb bulk) and Siena Cream Crunch Natural (25 lb. bulk). This announcement may be related to the Atlas walnut recall, reported above.
- Allergy Alert (Update): Grandpa Jimmy's Scottish Bakery (Grand Bend, ON) amends its earlier recall notice to correct the weights for three of the products. The recalled items were distributed in Ontario.
- Food Safety Recall: The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) warns the public not to consume an extensive list of prepared sandwich products (follow live link for complete list of affected products), because the affected products were made using processed cheese slices recalled by Saputo, Inc. on December 2, 2010. CFIA continues to monitor the situation and will update the list as and when more products are recalled. The recalled items were sold at Foodland stores in the Atlantic Provinces, at specific Sobey's stores, in vending machines, in convenience stores, from catering trucks and through other retail and food service operations across Canada. Affected brand names include Best Value, Hygaard, Quality Fast Foods, Deli Chef, JMS, Hamish & Enzo, J.C.A. Food Services, Majestic Fresh Foods 4U, Country Morning, Circle K Grab N' Go and Sub Delicious.
- Consumer Product Safety Recall: Avon Canada Inc. recalls several shades of Healthy Makeup Eye Shadows by Avon for missing preservative ingredients. The lack of preservative poses a risk of eye irritation or eye infections. In addition, the Violet Dusk shade is recalled because it contains an incorrect color pigment ingredient.
- Food Safety Seizure (Belgium): Three tonnes of meat were seized from the Palais du Frais wholesaler in Bray, due to several infractions.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Recall (South Korea): The Korea Food and Drug Administration reports the recall of CJW Gold Anchovy Sauce (Produced 2010.11.13; Expiry 12.5.12) after coliforms were found in the product.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.