- Food Safety Recall (UK): The Food Standards Agency advises that Active brand peanut butter, Active brand groundnut paste and peanut butter made by Jesu Aka Ltd contain excessive aflatoxin and should not be consumed. The peanut products, manufactured in Ghana and imported into the UK by Mardoro Ltd., are sold mainly in food stores that sell African or African-Caribbean foods. Enforcement officers have been instructed to visit stores in their area that may be selling these products and ensure that the products are removed from sale. Aflatoxin is a natural toxin produced by the fungus Aspergillus flavus.
Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific
- Allergy Alert (Australia and Guam): Cadbury recalls one date code of Cadbury Old Gold Dark Chocolate 70% Cocoa, due to the presence of undeclared milk.
- Mislabeled Product Alert (New Zealand): Armenian Imports Limited (trading as Super Juice) recalls Yan brand fruit juice products, after independent lab tests show that the products – labeled as '100% juice' – contain little or no fruit
- Prosecution of Juice Company (New Zealand): The Commerce Commission advises that it will institute prosecution of Brownlie Brothers Limited (trading as Simply Squeezed), a juice manufacturing and distribution company for alleged breaches of the Fair Trading Act in relation to a television advertising campaign that ran from March to May 2008 for Simply Squeezed Chilled Orange Juice.
Latin America & Caribbean
- Consumer Alert (Guyana): The Government Analyst Food and Drug Department advises consumers to avoid purchasing certain Cadbury chocolate bars, specifically the fruit and nut and whole nut ones displaying the expiry date July 2009 and batch numbers L8017-DA1-17:22 and L8038DC1-14:25. The specified bars were found to be worm-infested and tainted, possibly due to substandard materials and/or improper storage conditions.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- Harvey's Supermarket
- The Kroger Company*
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the link on our sidebar.