Here is today's list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
- Allergy Alert: Ralcorp Frozen Bakery Products, Inc. (Downers Grove, IL) recalls Target Market Pantry Snickerdoodles Cookies, 15-oz. clear clamshell pkg. (Lot #110592W03, 110933W03, 110941W03, 111152W03 and 111232W03), because the product contains undeclared whey. The recalled product was distributed nationwide to Target retail stores beginning in March 2011.
- Food Recall: Food City recalls Food Club French Roast Coffee, 11.05-oz can and Food Club Classic Decaf Can Coffee, 13-oz can.
- Outbreak Alert: CDC is investigating an outbreak of diarrhea that has affected 66 passengers and three crew members on the Coral Princess (Princess Cruises). Cruise ships are obliged to report to CDC illness outbreaks affecting 3% or more of the passenger roster on any cruise. The affected voyage was completed on May 4th. Onboard tests for Norovirus were negative; CDC is analyzing stool samples from passengers and crew to try to determine the cause of the outbreak.
- Outbreak Alert Update: The South Dakota Department of Health has determined that Norovirus was the cause of an outbreak of acute gastroenteritis that sickened about 130 children at Gertie Belle Rogers Elementary School in Mitchell.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2011.0590): Salmonella in soybean meal from Argentina; distributed to Poland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0591): Salmonella in frozen and breaded turkey escalope from Germany; distributed to Austria.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0596): Glass fragments in glass jars containing extra-fine green beans from France; distributed to Greece.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0597): Listeria monocytogenes in cooked peeled crawfish tails from the Netherlands; distributed to France.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall (New Zealand): La Marche Francais recalls Fromi Ossau Iraty raw milk sheep's cheese, imported from France and sold at its Thorndon Quay deli and at the City Market between April 15 and April 26, because the cheese was found by the manufacturer to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled cheese was exported to New Zealand and to several European countries.
Latin America and the Caribbean
- Outbreak Alert Update (Domincan Republic): A Haitian man died of cholera, bringing the total number of cholera-related deaths to 13 since the outbreak spread into the Dominican Republic from Haiti last year; 34 new cases of cholera were confirmed during the last week.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.