Here is today's list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
- Allergy Alert: Tri-State Bakery, LLC (Amarillo, TX) recalls 24-ounce white and wheat breads purchased prior to May 2, 2011 (see recall notice for detailed list of products), because the bread may contain undeclared soy flour, soy lecithin, and milk. The recalled breads were distributed through retail stores in Texas (except for El Paso Area), New Mexico, Colorado, Oklahoma, Kansas and Arizona.
- Allergy Alert: Nut Bar Company Inc. (Wyoming, MI) recalls GFS Pecan Pieces (40-oz. packages; Lot #095 1094), because they may contain undeclared walnuts instead of pecans. The recalled product was distributed through Gordon Food Service's Shepherdsvilly, KY distribution center to restaurants and GFS Marketplace Stores in Alabama, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Montana, Ohio, Tennessee, and West Virginia.
- Allergy Alert: Stir the Pot, LLC (Louisville, KY) recalls J. Gumbo's Drunken Chicken-Dark Chicken With Stewed Tomatoes (9-lb bags; Batch #2401), J. Gumbo's Chicken Zydeco-Dark Chicken Meat in a Sweet Chili Sauce (9-lb. bags; Batch #Z020), J. Gumbo’s Voodoo Chicken-Dark Meat Chicken With Tomato Sauce and Spices (9-lb bags; Batch #VD 3242) and J. Gumbo’s Red Hot Chicken-Dark Chicken in Hot Sauce (9-lb. bags; Batch #RH-Y042), because the products contain undeclared fish protein in the form of anchovy puree. The recalled products were manufactured between March 28, 2011 and April 28, 2011 and were shipped to distributors for foodservice use in Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio and Tennessee.
- Allergy Alert: Butterfield Foods (Noblesville, IN) recalls barbecue beef, pork and chicken products, because they contain undeclared soy. The recalled products were manufactured between April 2, 2010 and May 5, 2011 and were distributed to retail establishments and restaurants in Indiana under the Butterfield Foods and Amish Classic brands.
- Food Safety Recall Update: Taylor Farms Pacific, Inc. (Tracy, CA) has corrected its earlier recall notice for products containing grape tomatoes to include updated product and distribution information. Please see the recall notice for a detailed list of recalled items and distribution details. USDA has released an updated retail distribution list for the recalled products that fall under its jurisdiction. Separately, the Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation has confirmed that the recalled salad products were distributed to companies in the Pacific Northwest that supply products to Alaska. Please see the Alaska Press Release for details. Colorado has posted a list of recalled grape tomato products that were sold in Safeway, King Soopers and City Market stores in that state.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall: American Regent recalls Caffeine & Sodium Benzoate Injection, USP, 250mg/mL, 2 mL Single Dose Vial (NDC # 0517-2502-10, Lot #0084, Exp Date February, 2012; Lot #0084 only), because some of the vials may contain visible particulates. The recalled product was distributed to wholesalers and distributors nationwide.
- Shellfishing Areas Closed (New York): The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation has temporarily closed particular areas in the Town of Huntington to shellfish harvesting, after shellfish samples collected from western Shinnecock Bay tested positive for saxitoxin, a marine biotoxin that causes paralytic shellfish poisoning.
- Allergy Alert Update: The Canadian Food Inspection Agency has issued an expanded Alert to include additional product codes of Doctor's CarbRite Diet Chocolate Brownie Bars (56.7g/2-oz. pkgs; Lot #EXP101211, EXP040211, EXP080811, EXP080911, and EXP041012), which have been recalled because they may contain undeclared peanuts. The product may have been distributed nationally.
- Allergy Alert: Quality Natural Foods Ltd. (Scarborough, ON) recalls Quality brand Super Tasty Rasmalai (1Kg & 4Kg), because the product contains undeclared sulphites. The recalled products were distributed nationally.
- Outbreak Alert: An acute gastrointestinal illness - suspected to be Norovirus - has struck 20 travelers and 16 staff members at the Chateau Lake Louise resort hotel in Alberta. The afflicted hotel guests were quarantined in their rooms for 48 hours after their symptoms subsided, while sick staff members were told to remain at home. Kitchen staff were instructed to stay home for 48 hours after their symptoms subsided.
- Allergy Alert (Finland): Inex Partners Oy withdraws Rainbow Grilled Vegetables, 450g pkg (Product of Belgium; Batch code L1048-2; Best Before 17.08.2012), because the product contains undeclared milk protein and wheat gluten.
- Food Safety Alert (Netherlands): Inproba asks consumers to discard Inproba Creamy Coconut Milk (250 ml; Expiration date 3/9/2012), because the product might spoil before the indicated expiration date. No other production lots are affected by this warning.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Moughal Imports Ltd. recalls TRS Whole Brown Lentil (Lot No. P100218; Best before 28/12-2012) and Natco Green Lentil (Lot #090211 14547; Best before 28/2-2013), after glyphosate was detected at levels above the permitted amount.
- Food Withdrawal (Denmark): Ello-Food ApS withdraws Life brand Chestnut Flour (Product of Italy; Best Before 30/6-2011; Lot #266.10 and 245.10) after mold was found in the product by the Italian supplier.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Poisoning Illness/Death (India): An eighteen-year old girl died in hospital due to food poisoning after sharing a meal with her family. The girl's two teenaged sisters and their father also suffered from diarrhea, but are out of danger.
Latin America and the Caribbean
- Food Safety Enforcement Action (El Salvador): Bonamesa Packing has been ordered to halt production of sausages after Clostridium perfringens was found in samples of the company's sausages. The action comes after the company failed to implement recommended improvements to its hygienic practices and operations. Clostridium perfringens is the third leading cause of food poisoning in El Salvador, according to the Deputy Minister of Health.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.