Here is today's list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
- Outbreak Alert Update (Illinois): The number of Salmonella Typhimurium cases that appear to be linked to Portillo's restaurant in St. Charles, IL stands at 14 confirmed cases from 4 Illinois counties - Kane (8), DuPage (4), Chicago (1), and DeKalb (1) - and one confirmed case from Minnesota. Epidemiological evidence suggests salad as the source.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Booja Booja withdraws Booja Booja Hazlenut Crunch, Around Midnight Espresso, Ginger Wine, Cognac Banana, Champagne, Gourmet Selection and Luxury Gift Box chocolate truffles (all packs), because the products contain undeclared milk.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Kalu A/S recalls Kangaroo steaks (250g; Lot No. 1100477, 1100475, and 1100476; Best before 24-05-2011), because the meat may be contaminated with Salmonella.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0679): Cadmium in canned sardines in oil from Morocco, via Spain; distributed to Greece.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0680): Excessive sulphite in candied pears from China, via the Netherlands; distributed to the Czech Republic.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0681): Aflatoxins in pistachio nuts from the United States, via Belgium; distributed to Luxembourg.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0682): Aflatoxins in groundnuts in shell from Egypt; distributed to Albania, Bulgaria and Greece.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2011.0683): Undeclared milk ingredient in Booja Booja chocolate truffles manufactured in the United Kingdom, with raw material from Germany; distributed to Denmark, Finland, Germany, the Netherlands, Norway, Slovenia and the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0684): Histamine in chilled yellow fin tuna loins from the Maldives; distributed to Italy.
- Food Supplement Safety Notification (EU #2011.0685): Unauthorized vanadyl sulphate in orange juice drink concentrate from the United States, via Hungary; distributed to Cyprus.
- Food Supplement Safety Notification (EU #2011.0686): Unauthorized vinpocetine in dietary supplements from the United States, via Hungary; distributed to Cyprus.
- Food Supplement Safety Notification (EU #2011.0687): Tin, nickel and vanadium in multi-vitamin and mineral food supplement from the United States, via Hungary; distributed to Cyprus.
- Outbreak Alert Update (Germany): Three people already are dead, and some 400 have been infected so far, in a multi-state outbreak of Enterohemorrhagic E. coli O104 in Germany. According to Marler Blog, "dozens" of the victims are suffering from Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome. The source of the outbreak has not yet been found; however authorities currently suspect fruit or vegetables harvested from fields fertilized with manure.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Health Protection urges the public not to collect and eat wild mushrooms from parks or the countryside, after receiving reports of two individuals who became ill after eating wild mushrooms picked from Lung Tsui Park.
- Disinfectant Solution Safety Recall (Hong Kong): B. Braun Medical AG recalls three batches of Braunoderm iodine solution after the manufacturer found that the level of available iodine in some batches fell slightly under expected concentration of active ingredient before the expiry date was reached. The only recalled batch that was imported into Hong Kong was: Braunoderm Ungef Spruehfl 'DE' 250ml (Article No.: 3881105, Batch No.: 0253M14)
- Food Safety Enforcement Action (Abu Dhabi): Abu Dhabi Food Control Authority has ordered punitive closure of the Madinat Zayed branch of Al Ibrahimi restaurant (license number 1040214) in the capital, after an inspection revealed several violations of the rules and regulations governing food safety.
- Outbreak Alert (Indonesia): Around 300 employees of PT Shang J Fung (Cikupa, Tangerang) developed nausea and vomiting after eating food supplied by Asep Sawawi's catering company. The affected employees were taken to hospital for treatment.
Latin America and the Caribbean
- Outbreak Alert (Mexico): An infectious diseases specialist in Mexico City reports having confirmed 14 cases of typhoid since March 2011 - 6 with blood cultures and 8 in stool samples.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.