Here is today's list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
- Food Safety Recall: Schratter Foods Inc. (Fairfield, NJ) recalls Quenby Hall Blue Stilton Cheese, imported by ANCO Fine Cheese (Product of UK; Lots 019 through 034, with expiration dates of 6/15/2011 through 6/29/2011), after Listeria monocytogenes is found in the bulk cheese during routine testing. The product is imported in bulk (round half 8.5-9.6 lbs) and is sold nationally in retail stores in random weight wedge cuts.
- Allergy Alert: Nikolaos Fine Foods Limited recalls Zarky's, Woodward Meat Purveyors, Savory Secret Gold Coast, and Nikolaos brands of uncooked and par-fry seasoned breaded chicken breast fillets, due to the presence of undeclared milk. The recalled chicken products were distributed in Ontario for retail sale and to hotel/restaurant/institutional clients.
- Food Safety Recall (UK): Asda recalls Asda Japanese Style Spicy Rice Cracker Mix (Best before: up to and including 01/11/2011), Asda Spicy Wasabi Mix (Best before: up to and including 13/09/2011) and Asda Japanese Style Baked Rice Cracker Mix (Best before: up to and including 06/02/2012), because the products may contain small pieces of glass.
- Food Safety Alert (Italy): The Ministry of Health has banned the retail sale for human consumption of eels fished from Lake Garda, because the eels are contaminated with dioxin. The ban will be in effect for the next 12 months while additional testing is undertaken.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Dencon Foods A/S recalls Chicken Kebabs (Product of Hungary; Lot #0046-10; Best before 15/4/2012) after Swedish authorities find Salmonella in a sample of the product.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Hilton Foods Denmark A/S recalls Your Choice Minced Beef 3-7% (450g packages; Best Before 23.05.2011; Lots #400036304A and #400036207A), after Salmonella is found in the raw beef. The recalled minced beef was sold in Kvickly, Superbrugsen and Dagli supermarkets throughout Denmark.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Dana Seafood International Ltd. recalls Instant Noodles (400g net wt; Product of China; Imported by Hao Trading ApS; Best by dec/2013), because the product was imported illegally.
- Pet Food Safety Recall (Finland): VIP Vescor Ltd. recalls Nutritional Balance Lamb & Rice Growth dog food (Product of Belgium; 1 kg pack, OW 320; 3 kg pack, OW 221; 15 kg pack, OW 222, OW 291, OW 312 and OW 356), because the product is suspected of causing behavioral products in dogs. Analytical results suggest unusually large quantities of nitrogen compounds in the dog food. The recalled products were sold from October 2010 onwards.
- Medical Device Supplies Safety Recall (France): Roche Diagnostics France recalls ACCU-CHEK glucose test strips (Lot 470049), because the strips can overestimate the glucose concentration in 5% of cases.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0661): Glass fragments in snack mix from the Netherlands; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0663): Aflatoxins in groundnuts in shell from China; distributed to Italy.
- Outbreak Alert (UK): Six wards in Southampton General Hospital have been shut in an effort to stop the spread of a viral gastroenteritis outbreak. Individuals who have suffered diarrhea or other illness within the last 72 hours are being warned to stay away from Southampton's teaching hospitals. The public is asked to make only essential visits.
- Outbreak Alert (Russia): An outbreak of Salmonella gastroenteritis has been reported among workers at a gold mine in Chukchi. The local dining hall is suspected to be the source of the infections.
- Outbreak Alert (Ukraine): Twelve children, aged 2 1/2 to 5 years, who attend a kindergarten in Odessa have been hospitalized with acute gastroenterocolitis, the day after they shared a meal that consisted of preserved fish and milk porridge. Others are reported to be ill, but are being treated at home.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Alert (Vietnam): The Department of Animal Health reports that 97% of Vietnam's 30,000 slaughterhouses were operating without the necessary paperwork and in residential areas rather than abattoirs.
- Food Safety Alert (Vietnam): The Ho Chi Minh City Veterinary Bureau reports that more than 10% of the meat sold in the city every day is from illegal slaughtering houses and is unsafe.
- Food Safety Enforcement Action (Abu Dhabi): Abu Dhabi Food Control Authority has closed down the United Families for Catering and Food Stuff outlet in Al Ruwais due to repeated non-compliance with food safety regulations. The unlicensed outlet was operating in a makeshift building in a group of labor camps in the desert.
- Outbreak Alert (Nigeria): Contaminated drinking water is blamed for an outbreak of gastroenteritis, which has killed two people in Gurara (Niger state) and hospitalized 10 others.
- Outbreak Alert (Singapore): Meals supplied by Mum's Kitchen Catering has been blamed for food poisoning outbreaks in three Singapore preschools - Pat's Schoolhouse, Children's Place, and Learning Vision's Raffles Place branch. The outbreak has affected 235 children and 12 teachers so far. Thirty-four people have been hospitalized, according to the Ministry of Health, and 14 of those have been discharged. The caterer's operating license of has been suspended since Thursday, May 12th.
- Outbreak Alert (Mauritania): Seven people, including three children developed food poisoning after sharing sweets from a bakery. Rotten eggs used in the preparation of the desserts are thought to be the source of the contamination.
- Outbreak Alert (India): More than 250 people in Ahmedabad developed Staphylococcus aureus food poisoning after attending a wedding feast held at Dalal Hall on May 17th. The source of the outbreak is thought to be either mango juice, paste or paneer (fresh cheese) added to vegetable stews.
Latin America and the Caribbean
- Outbreak Alert (Brazil): Seventeen children who attend Lima City School in Camarigibe were hospitalized with severe stomach pain, diarrhea and vomiting on May 13th after eating lunch at the school. The school has been closed pending completion of an investigation in to the incident.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.