Here is today's list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
- Food Safety Recall Update: Publix Supermarkets recalls Shell On Oysters harvested from Area 1642 in Apalachicola Bay, FL between March 21 and April 6th, because the raw oysters have been linked to eight confirmed and one possible case of toxigenic Vibrio cholerae O75 infection (cholera).
- Food Safety Enforcement Action: FDA seeks permanent injunction against American Mercantile Corp., Ingredients Corporation of America, and Damon S. Arney, owner and president of the companies. According to FDA's complaint, the companies - which deal in a variety of products, including spices, herbs and sauces - and their owner "...violate the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act by preparing, packing and holding food under insanitary conditions where it may have become contaminated with filth."
- Food Recall: Tri-City Cheese and Meats (Kawkawlin, MI) recalls Troll Smokehouse Kippered Beef Original Flavor (1-lb and 5-oz. pkgs; Sell by June 9, 2011 through Sept. 2, 2011) because the ingredient label does not mention sodium nitrate.
- Water Contact Health Advisory (Oregon): The Oregon Department of Health has issued public health advisories were issued Thursday due to higher-than-normal levels of bacteria in ocean waters at Nye Beach in Lincoln County and Sunset Bay State Park Beach in Coos County.
- Outbreak Alert (Michigan): An increase in the number of Norovirus illnesses has been reported across Kalamazoo County, with cases recorded in nursing homes, schools and in the community. Spring Arbor University postponed its commencement for one week and canceled all nonacademic activities after more than 170 students fell ill with norovirus or "norolike" virus.
- Food Safety Recall: Alimentarus Import Export Inc. (Montreal, QC) recalls Dar Al Assala brand Piment doux moulu (Mild ground paprika; Imported from Morocco; Lot code PD17-F278; Best before 05/10/2012). because the product may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled product was sold to various retail stores in Quebec in 5-kg bags.
- Food Safety Recall (UK): Lidl recalls St. Maarten Classic Belgian Cheese Slices (200g; Imported from Belgium; all date codes), because the cheese may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled cheese was manufactured by Belgomilk and is part of a larger recall.
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium): Delhaize Belgique recalls Delhaize brand Nazareth Sliced Cheese (180g; all dates), Delhaize brand Belgo-Français Cheese Platter (400g; Best if used by dates prior to 18/04/2011 and 02/05/2011), Nazareth Brick Cheese (250g; all dates), and Brugge Kaas Cheese Platter (450g; Best if used before 13/04/2011) because the cheeses, which were produced by Belgomilk scrl, may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes.
- Food Safety Recall (Luxembourg): The Colruyt Group recalls a number of Grimbergen, Affligem, Nazareth, Bruges d'Or and Kievit Light cheeses (all dates) produced by Belgomilk scrl, because the cheeses may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled cheeses were available for sale in Colruyt, Collivery, OKay and Spar stores.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Recall (Sweden): The National Food Administration warns consumers that the dietary supplement Redux Retinalin 500mg has been found to contain unacceptably high levels of the B vitamin, nicotinic acid. Several reports of adverse reactions have been received.
- Outbreak Alert (Norway): Bagged salad mix containing radicchio rosso (Italian chicory) was flagged as the probable source of an outbreak of 21 cases of Yersinia enterocolitica O:9 illnesses between February and April 2011. The implicated DOLE brand salad mixes were recalled from the market by Bama.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2011.0623): Dioxins in complementary feed for calves from France; distributed to Switzerland.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2011.0624): Undeclared milk ingredient in vegetable product resembling Edam cheese from Belgium; distributed to Cyprus.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0626): Parasitic infestation with Anisakis of chilled catfish fillets from Iceland; distributed to France.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0627): Salmonella in cardamon seed from Guatemala; distributed to Sweden.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Alert (Philippines): The public is warned not to use glutathione IV as a skin whitening agent, as its use is unsafe and may result in serious health consequences, including kidney failure.
- Outbreak Alert (Guam): A total of 274 school children - most of them from Marcial Sablan Elementary School in Agat - were either sent home or taken to hospital with symptoms of food poisoning after consuming breakfast at the school. Other affected schools were Harry S. Truman Elementary, Southern High, Oceanview Middle, and J.P. Torres Alternative School. The implicated meal consisted of an egg sandwich, milk and a slice of fresh melon, and was supplied by King's Restaurant. A sample of the breakfast meal was taken for testing.
- Outbreak Alert (India): A cholera outbreak has been reported from five villages in the Sonitpur district of Assam; 245 people have been diagnosed with the illness so far. Officials suspect contaminated water as the source of the outbreak.
- Outbreak Alert (Singapore): An air-con maintenance technician has died of food poisoning a couple of days after eating fish ball noodles from a food stand near the Joo Koon MRT station.
- Food Safety Labeling Infractions (PRC): Staff members of a Shanghai location of the Carrefour supermarket chain were found replacing changing production dates on meat to extend the apparent shelf life of the products. Separately, the Spanish-based supermarket chain, Dia, was found selling expired dairy products.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.