Here is today's list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
- Allergy Alert: Top Food & Drug advises its customers that Galaxy Desserts Morning Mini Sticky Buns (UPC: 6-40445-00115) have been recalled, because they contain undeclared pecans.
- Food Safety Recall: Food Depot #24 recalls Ground Beef Products (1-lb through 4-lb tray packs; Sell by 05/20/11), because the meat may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7. The recalled ground beef was sold at Food Depot, Store #24 in McDonough, GA.
- Recreational Water Safety Alert (Missouri): Swimming beaches at three Missouri parks are closed due to elevated E. coli levels.
- Recreational Water Safety Alert (Oregon): Oregon has issued a public health advisory for ocean waters at Indian Beach in Clatsop County, due to higher-than-normal levels of fecal bacteria.
- Food Safety Advisory: Taiwan has advised US heath authorities that some bottled drinks imported into the USA from Taiwan may be contaminated with the cancer-causing chemical DEHP.
- Allergy Alert: Nikita Foods & Spices Ltd. recalls Kamal Premium Quality Spice Dumpling - Punjabi Wadi (200g and 400g sizes) due to the presence of undeclared gluten.
- Food Safety Recall: Les Aliments Edesia Foods Inc. (Saint-Hubert, QC) expands its earlier recall of Listeria monocytogenes-contaminated meat products from Italy to include both of the following products: Fumagalli La Salumeria Seasoned Dry Cured Pork Loin (1.2-1.6kg or sliced at retail; Best before 30.08.2011; Batch 119062) and Fimagalli Pronto e Fresco Spianata Romana Salami (100g; Best before 05.07.2011; Batch 119066). The recalled products were distributed only in Quebec.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Channell's Norfolk Preserves Ltd. advises that it is relabeling Channell's Sticky Rib Sauce and Channell's Barbecue Sauce, because they may contain the undeclared antigens soy, fish, sesame, wheat and/or barley.
- Food Safety Alert (UK): Taiwan's Department of Health warns that Bubble Tea ingredients exported to the UK from Taiwan are suspected to be contaminnted by the cancer-causing chemical DEHP.
- Food Safety Recall (Luxembourg): Delhaize recalls DelhaizeTrances de Nazareth (180g; all dates), Delhaize Plateau de fromage Belgo-Français (400g; Best before 18/04/2011 and 02/05/2011) Nazareth Fromage Nazareth en Bloc (250g; all dates) and Brugge Kaas Plateau de fromage Brugge (450g; Best before 13/04/2011), because the products may contain Listeria monocytogenes.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0695): Mold infestation in chilled white cheese from Germany; distributed to Croatia, Czech Republic, Germany and Italy.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Notification (EU #2011.0696): Unauthorized synephrine in food supplement from Canada; distributed to France.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0697): Salmonella Heidelberg in frozen chicken breasts from Brazil; distributed to Denmark.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Notification (EU #2011.0698): Unauthorized idebenone, vinpocetine, vincamine and vinburnine in food supplement from the USA, via Hungary; distributed to Cyprus.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0699): Unsuitable organoleptic characteristics of long grain rice from Poland; distributed to Slovakia.
- Outbreak Alert Update (Germany): Cucumbers imported into Germany from Spain are suspected to be the source of the outbreak of E. coli O104 disease, which has killed four people and sickened several hundred across several states of Germany.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Alert (Multiple countries): The Taiwan Department of Health has informed health authorities in China, Hong Kong, Vietnam and the Philippines that some bottled drinks exported to these countries from Taiwan may be contaminated with the cancer-causing chemical, DEHP. Hong Kong's Centre for Food Safety urges the public not to consume Speed Sports Drink (600ml; Expiry February 14, 2013), Speed Sports Drink, Lemon Flavour (600 ml; Expiry February 14, 2013), and Dong Nung 1000 Sports Drink / Yuet's Sports Drink (Expiry March 21, 2013).
- Dietary Supplement Safety Alert (Singapore): The Health Sciences Authority advises the public that Metabolic Advantage (manufactured by Enzymatic Therapy, Inc. in the USA) has been withdrawn, because it contains the unauthorized substances, thyroid gland and thyroid hormones.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall (Australia): Enrico's Kitchens recalls a number of Frozen Ready-to-eat pizza and pasta products (best before 25 May 2012), because the products may be contaminated with foreign matter, including metal, plastic and cloth. The recalled products were distributed nationally to major supermarkets including Coles and Woolworths, independent grocery stores and food service outlets such as cafés, hospitals and school canteens.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.