If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please click here or submit your request using the sidebar link. Please include "subscribe eFoodAlert" in the subject line.
- Allergy Alert: Barrel O' Fun Snack Foods Co (Perham, MN) recalls Valu Time Salt & Vinegar Potato Chips, 5 oz (all "best by" dates before 05 MAY 2011), because the product contains undeclared milk protein. The recalled product was sold through distribution centers in Virginia, Nebraska and Kansas for distribution to retail grocery stores throughout the USA.
- Allergy Alert: Rich Products Corporation (Buffalo, NY) recalls Sonny's Barbecue Deep Deveined Shrimp (product code 80692), because the product contains undeclared whey in the coating of the shrimp. The recalled shrimp was sold to foodservice distributors in the Southeastern United States for exclusive use by Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q restaurants.
- Food Safety Recall: United Food Group, LLC (Vernon, CA) recalls approximately 7,875 pounds of ready-to-eat Angus Beef patties that may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes.
- Food Safety Recall: FingerLakes Farms LLC (Plant #36-1131) recalls Ithaca Milk Company Lowfat Milk and Ithaca Milk Company Cream on Top Whole Milk (quart, half-gallon and gallon sizes of plastic containers; SELL BY 013111), because the milk was improperly pasteurized. The recalled milk was distributed in the Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse and Finger Lakes regions of New York State.
- Allergy Alert: Thrifty Foods (Coquitlam, BC) recalls in-store baked Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies, incorrectly labeled as Chocolate Chip Cookies (500g; Best before 11.JAN.25), because the cookies contain undeclared peanuts.
- Food Safety Recall: Super Asia Food & Spices Ltd. (Woodbridge, ON) recalls Mehran brand Chilli Powder (Product of Pakistan; 200g and 400g size; Best Before April-2013), because the chilli powder may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled products were distributed in Ontario.
- Food Safety Recall (UK): Oriental Merchant (Europe) Ltd. recalls Mas-River Fried Dace with Salted Black Beans, 184g (Product of Malaysia; Best before 30 April 2013), because the product contains high levels of histamine, and can cause scombrotoxin fish poisoning if eaten.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Allergy Alert (Taiwan): The China Post reports that health officials are suggesting consumers carefully wash daylily flowers when having hot pot, because about one-half of the samples tested by health officials in Taipei were found to have excess traces of sulphur dioxide.
Australia and New Zealand
- Consumer Product Safety Recall (Australia): Clemnor Pty Ltd recalls Global Keratin Hair Taming System with Juvexin Light Wave (300mL and 1000mL) and Global Keratin Hair Taming System with Juvexin Curly (300mL and 1000mL), because the products contain free formaldehyde in excess of the allowable limit. The recalled items were sold for salon professional use across Australia.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.