If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please click here or submit your request using the sidebar link. Please include "subscribe eFoodAlert" in the subject line.
- Allergy Alert: Barry Callebaut USA LLC recalls Kroger Value Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips, 12 oz. (Best by dates: November 20, 2012, December 1, 2012, December 3, 2012 and December 4, 2012) because the product may contain undeclared milk protein. The recalled chocolate chips were sold in Kroger-owned stores, including Kroger, Dillon's, Gerbes, Baker's, Jay C, Hilander, Owen's, Pay Less, Scott's, Fred Meyer, Fry's King Soopers, Smith's, City Market, Foods Co., and Food 4 Less.
- Food Recall: Price Chopper recalls Price Chopper 80% Ground Chuck (Sell by Jan 11) and Price Chopper 85% Ground Round (Jan 11), due to the possibility that a plastic utensil was ground into the beef. The recalled ground beef was sold at the Glen St. Price Chopper (Queensbury, NY) on Jan 11, between 1pm and 7:30 pm.
- Alcohol Swab Alert: Health Canada advises Canadians that COPAXONE®, used in the treatment of Multiple Sclerosis, has been co-packaged in a kit produced by Teva with recalled alcohol prep pads manufactured by Triad. Teva is advising patients to continue their daily injection routine with Copaxone prefilled syringes, but to use alternative alcohol pads or bottled isopropyl alcohol (70%) with a cotton ball.
- Allergy Alert: Wm Morrison Supermarkets PLC recalls Morrisons Free From Dark Chocolate Bar, 35g (Best before end February 2012), because the product contains undeclared milk.
- Food Safety Notification Update (EU #2010.1771): Dioxins in vegetable feed fat for pigs and poultry from Germany; distributed to Denmark, Germany, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2011.0041): Traces of milk ingredient in mint crisps and caramel candies from Ireland; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0042): Mercury in sliced dogfish from Spain; distributed to Spain.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2011.0043): Traces of milk ingredient in dark chocolate bar from Ireland; distributed to Gibraltar and the United Kingdom.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Alert (China): China State Council's Food Safety Commission has reported that a total of 96 people are in police custody, awaiting prosecution, or in prison for illegally using melamine-tainted milk powder. This disclosure comes on the heels of a further crackdown (in process since July 2010) on the use of tainted milk powder.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall (New Zealand): Living Foods recalls Pams Fresh Express Baby Spinach, Pams Fresh Cos Mix Salads, and Living Foods Baby Spinach Salads (Best before 12/01/2011 up to and including 19/01/2011), because Listeria was detected in the product. The recalled spinach-based salads were available through New World, PaknSave, 4 Square, Gilmours and independent retail fruit and vegetable shops and wholesalers throughout New Zealand.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.