If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please click here or submit your request using the sidebar link. Please include "subscribe eFoodAlert" in the subject line.
- Allergy Alert: Homestead Pasta Company (San Francisco, CA) recalls frozen meat and poultry tamale products because they contain undeclared whey. The recalled products were manufactured from April 2010 until January 2011 and shipped for retail sales in California, Oregon and Washington and for institutional use in California. The following brands and products are encompassed by this recall: Garibaldi Beef Tamale, Garibaldi Turkey Tamale, Golden West Traditional Beef Tamale With Sauce in Husk, Golden West Traditional Turkey Tamale With Sauce in Husk, Casper Homestead Pasta Company Beef Tamale, and Casper Homestead Pasta Company Chicken Tamale.
- Food Safety Recall: Boncheff Greenhouses, Inc. (Toronto, ON) recalls Cilantro, Curly Parsley and Italian Parsley, following a recall initiated by J & D Produce (Edinburg, TX), because the herbs may be contaminated with Salmonella. Boncheff repacked and distributed the recalled herbs to Wegmans Food Markets in Erie, PA (two stores) and New York state (except Corning, Elmira, Ithaca and Johnson City). The Italian Parsley (lot code 1002387) also was supplied under the Boncheff Brand to Budwey Markets (2 stores), Wades Market, Cuba Giant Food Market and Hegedorn's.
- Food Safety Recall: Columbus Meat Market Inc. (Chicago, IL) recalls ground beef patties that were supplied to food-handling establishments in the Chicago area (Est 755; Pack date 12/27/10), after the Illinois Department of Agriculture finds E. coli O157:H7 in a sample of the meat.
- Food Safety Recall (Update): Top Food & Drug and Winco Foods advise their customers that clover and clover mix sprouts (available in stores of both chains) were recalled by Sprouters Northwest, Inc. after consumption of the sprouts was linked to several cases of Salmonella illnesses in Washington and Oregon.
- Topical OTC Product Safety Recall: Topco Associates recalls Top Care brand alcohol swabs and alcohol prep pads manufactured by Triad Group, because the products may be contaminated with Bacillus cereus. The recalled Top Care swabs and pads were sold by the following retail store chains: Brookshire's Food & Pharmacy, Food City, Giant Eagle, Super1Foods, Top Food & Drug, Tops Friendly Markets, and Wegmans. The recalled alcohol pads and swabs also were sold in Meijer stores (under the Meijer brand name) and under the Kroger store brand in stores belonging to the Kroger, Baker's, City Market, Dillons, Food 4 Less, Fred Meyer, Fry's Gerbes, Jay C, King Soopers, QFC, Ralphs, and Smith's chains.
- Allergy Alert (Ireland): Old El Paso, Original Smoky BBQ Fajitas (Best Before 28.02.2011; Batch code LB 2501568272 SA 8410076471178) was found to contain undeclared soy.
- Allergy Alert (Ireland): Tesco Home Baking Batter Mix (Best before Jan 2011; Batch code 0020) was found to contain undeclared soy.
- Allergy Alert (Ireland): Allinson Premium White Very Strong Bread Flour (Best before Jan 2011; Batch code 0113 f3x) was found to contain undeclared soy.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification Update (EU #2010.1771): Dioxins (in fat used for the feed) in vegetable feed fat for pigs and poultry from Germany; distributed to Germany, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0017): Unauthorised substance morpholine in fresh lemons from Turkey, via the Netherlands; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0018): Too high content of nitrate in chard from Italy; distributed to Slovenia.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2011.0019): Undeclared soya in flour tortillas from the United Kingdom; distributed to Ireland.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2011.0020): Undeclared milk ingredient in chocolate and orange bar from Ireland; distributed to Gibraltar and the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0021): Mold in buckwheat from Lithuania; distributed to Latvia.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2011.0022): Undeclared soya in batter mix from the United Kingdom; distributed to Ireland.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2011.0023): Undeclared soya in white bread flour from the United Kingdom; distributed to Ireland.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Notification (EU #2011.0024): Unauthorised substance pseudovardenafil (suspected) in food supplement from Malaysia; distributed to Hungary.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0025): Deoxynivalenol (DON) in organic oat meal from Denmark, with raw material from Sweden; distributed to Denmark.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0026): Prohibited substance nitrofuran (metabolite) nitrofurazone (SEM) in frozen beef from Brazil; distributed to Portugal.
Australia and New Zealand
- Medical Device Safety Advisory (Australia): Abbott Diabetes Care has issued a Safety Advisory on Optium Pount of Care Glucose Test Strips 100s, Optium Glucose Test Strips 100s, and Optium Glucose Test Strips 10s, because the affected test strips may give falsely low blood glucose readings if exposed to high temperatures for extended periods of time. Please follow the live link to find the complete list of affected Lot Numbers. Abbott's affected glucose test strips have been recalled or withdrawn in a number of countries worldwide.
Latin America and the Caribbean
- Medical Device Safety Recall (Brazil): Abbott Laboratórios do Brasil Ltda recalls Optium Tiras Test, Optium Tiras Glicose Sangue OTC, and Optium Xceed Tiras POC CL, because the affected test strips may give falsely low blood glucose readings. This recall is part of a worldwide recall of glucose test strips initiated by Abbott.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.