Here is today's list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
- Food Safety Recall: Warabeya U.S.A., Inc. (Honolulu, HI) recalls 7-Eleven brand convenience meals (Produced June 28, 2011; Best eaten by 06/30/11 11:30 AM), because the meals may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled products, which include 7-Eleven Fried Chicken Bento, 7-Eleven Teriyaki Chicken Bento, 7-Eleven Breakfast Scramble Bowl, 7-Eleven Big Bento and 7-Eleven Little Smokies Snack Pack, were distributed to retail stores in Hawaii.
- Food Safety Recall: Old Home Foods (New Brighton, MA) recalls Old Home Cottage Cheese (12, 24 and 32-oz packs; Expiration date: August 1), because the cheese may spoil prior to the expiration date. The recalled cottage cheese was supplied to Rainbow stores (part of Roundy's Supermarkets' Inc.), and may also have been shipped elsewhere.
- Water Safety Alert: The Oklahoma Department of Environmental Quality and the Grand River Dam Authority have recently confirmed the presence of blue-green algae in at least four sections of Grand Lake. Exposure to blue-green algae may cause human illness.
- Outbreak Alert: The Texas Department of State Health Services alerts residents of Maverick County to take precautions against shigellosis after more than 50 cases of Shigella-related diarrhea were confirmed during May and June. The number of confirmed cases is 25 times higher than the usual number reported during this time of year.
- Outbreak Alert Update: As of July 5, 2011, CDC has confirmed reports of 25 cases of Salmonella Enteritis from 5 states: Idaho (3), Montana (10), New Jersey (1), North Dakota (1) and Washington (10). Epidemiological investigation linked the outbreak to consumption of alfalfa sprouts and spicy sprouts from Evergreen Fresh Sprouts, LLC (Moyie Springs, ID). The company has recalled certain lots of its alfalfa sprouts and spicy sprouts.
- Allergy Alert (France): Société Auchan recalls Ravioli aux 3 fromage/3-Cheese Ravioli (250g; Best before 03.07.11), because some of the packages may contain meat ravioli instead; the meat ravioli stuffing contains celery, which is not declared on the cheese ravioli label.
- Food Safety Recall (Finland): Siam House Ky withdraws Monika Fish Sauce (Product of Philippines; Batch code 8233; Best before 05.02.2012), because the product was found to contain excessive amounts of preservative.
- Food Recall (Greece): EFET announces that Croissant Panini dolce (150g; Expiry 16/7/11) has been recalled. Please see the EFET web site for details, as the automatic translator is not functioning.
- Outbreak Alert Update (France - E. coli O157): Four new patients, including a 7-month-old infant, have been hospitalized in Lille, bringing the total number of hemolytic uremic syndrome cases in the Steak Country outbreak to ten.
- Pet Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0900): Salmonella Senftenberg in dog chew from Switzerland; distributed to Austria.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2011.0902): Salmonella Senftenberg in soya meal from Argentina, via the Netherlands; distributed to Belgium.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Outbreak Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Health Protection reports a confirmed case of cholera (Vibrio cholerae O1 Ogawa) in a 25-year-old man who has no history of recent travel. The man is in stable condition in the isolation ward of Princess Margaret Hospital.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.