Here is today's list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
- Allergy Alert: Arizona Canning Company recalls Sun Vista Red Enchilada Sauce, 29-oz cans (Mild, Medium and Hot varieties; all lots), because they may contain undeclared soy. The recalled products were distributed in California and Arizona.
- Food Safety Recall: Flying Food Group, LLC (Lawrenceville, GA) recalls Starbucks Chipotle Chicken Wraps Bistro Box (8.4 oz; Expiry 071511; Est. No. P-34373) and Starbucks Chicken & Hummus Bistro Box (6.3 oz; Expiry 071511; Est. No. P-34373), because the products may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled ready-to-eat products were produced on July 13, 2011 and supplied to Starbucks coffee shops in Georgia and Alabama.
- Outbreak Alert Update: CDC reports that, as of July 18, 2011, 241 people in 42 states have been infected with Salmonella Typhimurium. The infections are associated with African dwarf frogs from Blue Lobster Farms, an African dwarf frog breeding facility in Madera County, California. The owner of the breeding facility voluntarily stopped shipping frogs in late April 2011, but resumed shipments in early June.
- Consumer Product Safety Recall: Shopper's Drug Mart/Pharmaprix (Toronto, ON) recalls Baléa Kids Hair Putty in Tropical Fruit Punch Scent styling gel (150 ml clear jar; Lot code C117), because the product may be contaminated with Burkholderia cepacia, This bacterium can cause serious illness in individuals with compromised immune systems or chronic lung issues, such as cystic fibrosis. The recalled products were sold in Shoppers Drug Mart/Pharmaprix stores across Canada from April 2011 until July 8, 2011.
- Food Safety Alert (France): A piece of glass was found in a plastic container of Blédina (Danone) fruit compote for children. The glass was discovered by a man in Gard who was feeding the product to his 19-month grandson. An investigation is in progress.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0973): Trifluralin in frozen catfish from Vietnam; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0974): Mineral oil in palm oil from Lebanon; distributed to Belgium.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2011.0975): Salmonella Havana in soybean meal from Denmark; distributed to Finland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0976): Trifluralin in frozen catfish from Vietnam; distributed to Denmark.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Outbreak Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Health Protection is investigating two suspected food poisoning outbreaks involving two groups of four people who lunched at a restaurant in Shatin on July 18th. Four of the eight people sought medical treatment; one required hospitalization, but has since been discharged.
- Counterfeit Product Alert (Singapore): The Health Sciences Authority alerts the public to the sale in local optical shops of counterfeit colored contact lenses, fraudulently labeled as "FreshLook® ColorBlends® Contact Lenses from CIBA VISION". Please navigate to the HSA notice for details.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.