Here is today's list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Chesapeake Crab Connection Co. (Lancaster, PA) that a December 2010 inspection of the company's seafood processing facility revealed serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation and the Current Good Manufacturing Practice regulation for foods.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Chantel's Cakes & Pastries (Sterling, VA) that a November 2010 through January 2011 inspection of the company's manufacturing facility revealed insanitary conditions and serious violations of Title 21 of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 110 – Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) in Manufacturing, Packing, or Holding Human Food regulation.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Sam Hak Food Corp. (Flushing, NY) that a January/February 2011 inspection of the company's seafood processing facility revealed serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation and the Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) regulation for foods.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Sanuka Kanzyme Co. (Yurihonjyo-shi, Japan) that a November 2010 inspection of the company's low-acid canned food facility revealed serious deviations from the low-acid canned food regulations.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Day Boat Seafood, LLC (Lake Park, FL) that a December 2010/January 2011 inspection of the company's seafood processing facility revealed serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation and the Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) regulation for foods.
- Consumer Product Safety Recall: My Michelle (New York, NY) recalls My Michelle girls tops and dresses, because the jewelry and decorative trim attached to the girl's garments contain high levels of lead. The recalled articles of clothing were manufactured in Vietnam and sold at Burlington Coat Factory, Dillard's, J.C. Penney, Kohl's, Army and Air Force Exchange (AAFES), K & G Fashion Superstore and other retail stores nationwide from January 2011 through March 2011 for about $38.
- Public Health Reminder: The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment reminds parents that young children should not be permitted to handle young birds, such as chicks and ducklings, as the birds may carry Salmonella.
- Allergy Alert: Bangle Hand Inc. (Toronto, ON) recalls Bangle Hand Pakkoda due to the presence of undeclared wheat. The recalled product was distributed in the Greater Toronto Area.
- Expanded Health Hazard Alert/Recall: CFIA's public warning has been expanded to include the following retailers who repackaged and sold raw shelled walnuts and products containing walnuts that were distributed by Amira Enterprises Inc: Asia Food Mart, London, ON (Shelled Walnuts and Salad Booster containing Walnuts), and Jimmy's A & A Mediterranean Deli, Calgary, AB (Raw Shelled Walnuts Halves Pieces). The walnuts were recalled by Amira after they were implicated in an outbreak of E. coli O157:H7 illnesses in Quebec, Ontario and New Brunswick.
- Food Safety Recall (Expanded): Boucherie Atlantique ltée (Montréal) recalls Walnuts (variable weights; sold in plastic containers from January 1 to April 4, 2011), because the walnuts may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7.
- Expanded Health Hazard Alert/Recall: Québec's Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food warns the public not to consume bulk walnuts and products containing walnuts that were purchased from the following retailers between January 1 and April 5, 2011, because the products may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7:- Produits Eden, Montréal (walnut pieces); Fruiterie St.-Amour, Gatineau (trail mix, and walnut pieces); and Épicerie Européenne, Québec (Shelled walnuts).
- Cosmetic Product Safety Alert: Health Canada warns the public that eleven additional professional hair smoothing solutions have been found to contain levels of formaldehyde that exceed the permitted limit. Please refer to the Health Canada Information Update for details.
- Allergy Alert (Ireland): Celery DNA has been detected in the parsley ingredient of Organix Goodies Organic Cheese and Herb Puffs, 15 g, (Best Before dates: 30/05/11, 04/07/11, 18/07/11, 25/07/11, 01/08/11, 15/08/11, 22/08/11, 05/09/11 and 26/09/11). This may make the snacks unsafe for consumers who are allergic to celery.
Australia and New Zealand
- Allergy Alert (New Zealand): General Mills New Zealand recalls Frescarini Wholegrain Roasted Vegetables Ravioli (300g; Use by 02.05.11), due to the possible presence of undeclared sesame, egg, milk, soy, wheat, and rye. The recalled product was sold through all major supermarket chains in New Zealand.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket's recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ's Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.
*The Kroger umbrella encompasses numerous supermarket, marketplace and convenience store chains, listed on the Kroger corporate home page.